VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm 
D4 class (shunter)

my current project which fouces on the Western and Northern Lines with Shelbourne and Redesdale branchlines ATM, still a work in progress

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 am 
E class (shunter)

Great track work and signal detail. Coming along very nicely, nice one.
Cheers,
Baz.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

G'day R704 R711,

...there is much here that is excellent work, Jon amd I have to say I am looking forward to seeing the end result. However, I find a few things upon which I must "take you to task", as it were...

...firstly, in the very first image we see some kind of ground frame in front of the shed, which, from the distance we see it in the image, appears not to be one of the proper VR types. In addition, in accordance with VR S.O.P., it would never be placed so far away from the track...

...secondly, in the sixth image, the location of which I am unable to determine, you have the point rodding shown in the bottom right hand corner, running underneath the tracks in a manner that they would never, EVER be 'laid' and definitely not according to the instructions provided in my 'description' for them. Without knowing exactly what it is they are attached to (and worked by). although I suspect it is another ground frame, I would suggest that they be rerouted to run along the 'straight' track on the left hand side of the image, using the appropriate VR Mechanical Point Rodding Lever, as required. It should also be noted that the rodding attached to the catch points and the points out of the siding should bend to follow the line of the track adjacent to which it sits...

...thirdly, you have neglected to place the appropriate type of Water Tower at Woodend - you should have one of the Type 'C' versions, preferably the "1a", placed alongside the track leading to the turntable. It is always possible that it is already there, just not visible in the image...

...fourthly, the Cairn Curran Reservoir 'viaduct' is a concrete structure, for which my single track 30' Concrete & Steel Bridge Kit should have been used, instead of the Pile Bridge I see in the image of that location...

...fifthly, the Goods Line Junction at Sunshine was always a "double junction", with separate Up and Down lines, that never, at any point along the entire length of the yard, came together - the Down Goods Line ran on the mainline side of the yard and the Up Goods line ran on the opposite side...

..and finally, in all but the very first image of that which I presume is Tottenham, you have a retaining wall along the Up side of the track from Ashley Street in the Up direction. No such wall ever (nor does, even now) exist in this location. The 'grade separation' between the mainline and the yard here was separated by a simple, grassed slope that ran uphill, in the Down direction, from a point near to the start of the yard at West Footscray to a point opposite Tottenham 'B' Box (where the 'branch' to Brooklyn diverged or where the Top Yard Starts) and thence downhill to Sunshine to about 100 meters from the junction with the 'Goods Lines'. For most of this length, certainly from Ashley Street through to the top of the hill (at the very least), the edge of the yard was delineated from the slope by a row of the VR's favourite plant, the Monterrey Pine or Macrocarpa Cypressus, for which you will find my assets of the same name perfectly suitable. In addition, there are no visible rocks anywhere along this slope. I should also point out that when the mainline was located at the lower level, as you have it in your route, the Signalbox controlling the gates at Ashley Street was located on the Down side...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am 
D4 class (shunter)

[quote="Jerker"]G'day R704 R711,

...there is much here that is excellent work, Jon amd I have to say I am looking forward to seeing the end result. However, I find a few things upon which I must "take you to task", as it were...

...firstly, in the very first image we see some kind of ground frame in front of the shed, which, from the distance we see it in the image, appears not to be one of the proper VR types. In addition, in accordance with VR S.O.P., it would never be placed so far away from the track...

that location is Wildwoods, it was a temporary place keeper which was replace with more appropriate building and ground frame as pictured further down.

...secondly, in the sixth image, the location of which I am unable to determine, you have the point rodding shown in the bottom right hand corner, running underneath the tracks in a manner that they would never, EVER be 'laid' and definitely not according to the instructions provided in my 'description' for them. Without knowing exactly what it is they are attached to (and worked by). although I suspect it is another ground frame, I would suggest that they be rerouted to run along the 'straight' track on the left hand side of the image, using the appropriate VR Mechanical Point Rodding Lever, as required. It should also be noted that the rodding attached to the catch points and the points out of the siding should bend to follow the line of the track adjacent to which it sits...

Elphingstone yet another think which was fixed to the proper manner.

...thirdly, you have neglected to place the appropriate type of Water Tower at Woodend - you should have one of the Type 'C' versions, preferably the "1a", placed alongside the track leading to the turntable. It is always possible that it is already there, just not visible in the image...

Thank you for pointing it out will place correct water tower as listed by you to location

...fourthly, the Cairn Curran Reservoir 'viaduct' is a concrete structure, for which my single track 30' Concrete & Steel Bridge Kit should have been used, instead of the Pile Bridge I see in the image of that location...

That is not Cairn Curran Reservoir haven't got to the bridge yet, I believe your talking about Melton Reservoir Bridge

...fifthly, the Goods Line Junction at Sunshine was always a "double junction", with separate Up and Down lines, that never, at any point along the entire length of the yard, came together - the Down Goods Line ran on the mainline side of the yard and the Up Goods line ran on the opposite side...

according to a 1922 diagram of sunshine link here http://vrhistory.com/Locations/T1994B.PDF shows a short lived goods line connection, but Zec pointed out a era issue so had to be changed to the more well knowen connection. but thanks for pointing it out

..and finally, in all but the very first image of that which I presume is Tottenham, you have a retaining wall along the Up side of the track from Ashley Street in the Up direction. No such wall ever (nor does, even now) exist in this location. The 'grade separation' between the mainline and the yard here was separated by a simple, grassed slope that ran uphill, in the Down direction, from a point near to the start of the yard at West Footscray to a point opposite Tottenham 'B' Box (where the 'branch' to Brooklyn diverged or where the Top Yard Starts) and thence downhill to Sunshine to about 100 meters from the junction with the 'Goods Lines'. For most of this length, certainly from Ashley Street through to the top of the hill (at the very least), the edge of the yard was delineated from the slope by a row of the VR's favourite plant, the Monterrey Pine or Macrocarpa Cypressus, for which you will find my assets of the same name perfectly suitable. In addition, there are no visible rocks anywhere along this slope. I should also point out that when the mainline was located at the lower level, as you have it in your route, the Signalbox controlling the gates at Ashley Street was located on the Down side...

in the same link it shows the signal box on the Up side. of course it could also be wrong but I had nothing els to go by, as for the grad separation will fix when I find the right asset

as always thank you very much Jerker you have been a great help

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

G'day R704 R711,

Glad to see I was 'of service' to you, Jon. I'm also pleased to hear that you are correcting things as they should be...

...however, with regard to Tottenham, as this image from 1981 clearly shows...

(image courtesy of victorianrailways.net)

.... somehow my memory has failed me, miserably. If you were to ask me before today, I would have "sworn blind" that the signalbox at that location was situated on the Down side. It was not, so I stand corrected (it's funny how your memory will play tricks on you, like that, isn't it?)!! Please feel free to leave the box where you currently have it. One thing you might consider doing, which that image also shows, is to move the mainline tracks a bit further away from the yard, which will give you more room to create the slope (of which you get a small glimpse) you need to separate the yard from the main at this point. You speak of some sort of asset to use for this slope, when, in reality, all you need to do is smooth out the 'hill' created by the grade separation that you already have and then place those trees of which I spoke along the top edge...

...so that first location is Wildwoods? Hmmm, that station hasn't been there for a very long time. I wouldn't mind understanding your 'purpose' in including it...

...as for the Water Tower, at Woodend, I could not be certain if it was included or if it wasn't, so I presumed it wasn't...

...the bridge 'asset' of which I spoke is correct for the Cairn Curran 'viaduct' but I had no idea the location in your image was actually of the Melton Weir (it looks nothing like the real location to even offer a slight hint - there should be a small island on which one of the bridge trestles 'sits', near the Melbourne end and given that I have just completed the DEM for the cross country line from Castlemaine to Maryborough for you, you can't blame me for "jumping to conclusions"). The real Melton Reservoir bridge is a steel viaduct of specific design that would need to be especially created for you - something that probably should be on my "to do list" but for some reason, isn't...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
D4 class (shunter)

Thank you again for your help

its understandable

as for why I included Wildwoods, is cause I'm basing this route in the late 1920s early 1930s
(I like that era for some reason :P )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:45 pm 
D4 class (shunter)

City end update

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:30 pm 
D4 class (shunter)

Dunolly, Bet Bet and Maryborough loco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Keep up the good work looking forward to downloading when completed