VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Evening ladies and gents.

It's come to my attention that trackwork is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, or their strength, and I understand this. However, like most skills in Trainz (unlike bloody texturing) it is a skill that can be learnt and encouraged, and mastered. Not wanting to toot my own horn, but trackwork and neat trackwork (even in complex yards) is one of my strongpoints.

So I thought I'd show you how to do it in pictures.

First picture: Track spacing. It's surprisingly important. 3.6m is/was the standard for the Victorian Railways, and is still relevant for most lines today (exceptions being certain RFR and RRL Lines). 3.6m in TANE looks like this:

The spline circle on the side should line up in the centre of the next track over. Surprisingly easy.

As you can see, it's the same as S301/Zec's excellent 3.6m Spacer, but slightly quicker to use, without worrying about angles or heights.

Now, Curves. A pain in the butt.

My basic rule is to keep both splines next to the curve Straight, using the STRAIGHTEN TRACK tool (Ridiculously important for good trackwork.)

Check out 'Guide Curve Radius' sets on the DLS: easy to use, easy to work out how to use. Come in 100-500m radius curves in increments of 25s, and there are a number of 1-5 degree turns as well out there by the same author, mr.den.

(Continued in next post.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:39 pm 

Something a bit trickier: points and junctions/crossovers.

I know, you click on a track when you have the 'add track' button selected and it's all so simple to add points, but how do you make them look good?

They're all S words: straighten, space, (and send to me to fix)

I tend to go by the basic rule of 40m between end to end for standard VR Crossovers/points. Most X-Overs in the Victorian system had/have a 40km/h speed limit, unless someone wishes to correct me.

MAKE SURE YOU STRAIGHTEN THE MAIN/STRAIGHT LINES. Tracks that are meant to be straight are meant to be really straight.

For a double crossover, make sure the spline points line up with each other on both ends of the track. I usually use 50m end to end for Double X-Overs, as it looks a little short and a little cramped to me otherwise.

Make.Sure.The.Straight.Tracks.Are.Straight.

For a High Speed Crossover, for more modern operations, I tend to use either a 60m crossover, or a 80m crossover if they're intended to be 'true high speed' crossovers. Speed limits for the 60m one is generally 65km/h for me, and 80km/h on the 80m one. The trains just look reasonably natural going through points at these speeds.

Here's a 60m one. Make.Sure.The.Straight.Tracks.Are.Straight.

(Double Slips in the next post.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 pm 

Slips are generally considered the hard part: they are not. As long as you keep them straight, and don't try to use too little space.

This is how mine start: Two or more straight tracks converging with each other.

Next up, while there are still no curved sections, I add spline points to every time an individual rail passes each other:

Now, I add rail to where I want rail to go: for single slips, I only need to add one track between two tracks converging. For a double slip, I add two splines, one off one track to the other, and one off the other track to the first. Then Straighten. It's very important you straighten every single straight section outside the slip. As there are 4 separate trainz junctions within such a confined space, it gets tricky. Even the 1-2m long splines need straightening.

Voila, some sexy double slips! Continue to add as many as you like until you run out of tracks, my record is about 12 in a row ;) :P

(One more Post otherwise I'm gonna get banned for too many posts)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:58 pm 

Be very careful when you add a spline point down the line on a straightened track that it does not automatically unstraighten itself: I don't know why Trainz does this but it bugs me. It reminds me as if it almost loosens tension or something.

Don't fear though. Easy fix. Straighten Spline tool (again)

Key Points:
- don't try and use too little space: 30-35m for a steam era shunting yard with small locos is about the shortest you can get away with
- Use the straighten spline tool
- Curved junctions (Will do later) should have a very short straight section 'in front' of a facing point: that is, so if you were driving toward a switch which you could diverge/change direction, there should be a very small straight section so Trainz won't muck up your point.
- Use the straighten spline tool
- Good trackwork immensely improves a layout (see below)

Okay, that's me done for the night. Have fun tracklaying Fellas!

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

Moved to tutorials and shtickied mate. Good stuff :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

My own personal take on this. I use the 'double slip' method for yard ladders as well. Then just delete the extra tracks as required :)

As a note, might look at a better template for spacing double tracks... :)

Regards
Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:03 am 

Following on from what Zec said...

How to: Yard Ladder

x number of parallel tracks...

Lay track diagonally, sharpness depending on how sharp you wish your turnouts are:

Insert necessary spline points

Chop out unnecessary splines (remember, the undo button works in TANE now)

Connect and straighten

Voila! This was a very small yard ladder done at Corio on my Geelong Line, in the old refinery area, hence the rust :)

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:57 pm 
N class (goods)

Not sure what they do in Mexico but up in NSW they have the point lever/motor on either side of the track not in the middle of the track where trains may run them over :lol: .
Cheers Mick.