VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:42 pm 
D4 class (shunter)

Greetings rail enthusiast community!

Among this thread, you will be introduced to my current and anticipated creations - locomotives, rolling stock, scenery - for Trainz simulator. Subsequent to the acquisition of 3DsMax, I was slightly perplexed from the additional features and layout as opposed to the unstable alternative, Gmax. Nevertheless, I am developing and expanding my skills and knowledge.

To commence the thread, here's a teaser... - Freight Australia built XR class locomotive - the basic body is beginning to take shape with a few components that need to be rectified. I apologise about the screenshot resolution.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Regards.

1990s-era narrow-font Nathan AirChime K-#3 bell.

Last edited by TheModder™ on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:52 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

G'day TheModder™.

Welcome to Victrainz, Sir, it is certainly "refreshing" to see a new face creating models, especially ones so good. Where have you been before this? I take it the model you are showing us here is not your first foray into this area (if it is, then I am 'astounded' by the quality of the work)? I trust that we will see many more such models from your oeuvre in the future...

...as for feedback, well, I can't really say much, other than it looks "fine" to my eyes (even though I will confess to not being too familiar with the particular class of locomotive), although I might take you to task over the 'depth' of the backplate of the pilot. Given that these locomotives were adaptations of a standard VR "X Class", I feel you have depicted the depth of the pilot's backplate deeper than it should be (as I recall from my 25 years experience on the footplate, the pilot 'cut out' was only ever 4 inches - and no more than 6 inches - deep)...

...I will keep an eye on your progress...

Jerker [:)}

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:14 am 
D4 class (shunter)

G'day Jerker,

My most humble apologies, I was a frequent visitor of Victrainz and my previous account has since been deactivated or removed, but I do appreciate the warm re-welcoming - thank you.

Prior to procuring 3DsMax, I explored the alluring and enticing world of 3D modelling in the program - Gmax. Yet, the program was undoubtedly considered unstable, it delivered fantastic results beyond my satisfaction before errors and file corruption made several appearances. 3DsMax was regarded as the most suitable program for 3D modelling and I have introduced myself to it, incorporating the skills I gained from Gmax.

Initially, the model was intended for 3DsMax test purposes and the pilot was the first component constructed. My resources are photographs from numerous websites and I have struggled to find diagrams which could potentially assist me with correcting and scaling components accurately. I will make attempts to collapse the 'cut out' depth and supply more screenshots/ renders.

I encourage further assistance - thank you for your feedback.

Regards.

Last edited by TheModder™ on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:49 am 

Hi nathan1000,

Isn't this your account after you had your username changed?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=995

:lol:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 am 
D4 class (shunter)

G'day Aaron™,

Most certainly. My previous account is now disabled, unable to login. A new account with a new permanent username, email address, password keeps everything simplified when registering with new forums, etc - and I do apologise for any confusion.

Regards.

Last edited by TheModder™ on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:36 am 
D4 class (shunter)

Hello all,

Despite having an incomplete basic mesh - lack of photographs and diagrams of the air conditioner located between the cabin and dynamic brake resistor grid, detail advances among the long hood and I have rectified some components.

Regards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 am 

G'day TheModder™,

...it's coming along nicely, Sir. As for the air conditioner, assuming it was the same as any other fitted to an "X Class" locomotive, it would have been a plain Aluminium box about 24" along it's length (parallel to the cab wall to which it was attached), some 18" or 20" deep and no more than 12" (possibly only 10") high - basically, just big enough to fit into the opening of the window it replaced on whichever side of the cab it was located (which was mostly the driver's side but the odd one or two were placed in the fireman's side end window). If I recall correctly, there were two fans, with associated grills, of about 10" diameter located on the top of the unit towards the 'back' which would have stood about 1" 'proud' of the top of the unit and some one inch diameter piping from the device, which, I think, went down into the hood but "don't quote me on that"...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Hello Sir TheModder :P

...I saw your model of the XR, and I thought something didn't look quite right, as Garry has said. As help, I have here some photos of the rebuild of X35 to an XR that a friend of mine who works for PacNat took.

I do hope these help towards your model, as it's looking good so far

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:42 pm 

Hi Callum,

What caught my eye is the spoke wheels with the freight bogie.

Hi Garry,

Was talking to Nathan over the past few days on Facebook and when he asked about a box on the cab I said it's the air-con unit, then he showed me a photo the next day and I replied *that's the air-con, it can be found on other X, T and H class loco's* he couldn't find any photo's as he was looking through VR loco's at first and after I mentioned it was about 2004 they started to be fitted to most loco's then he found them :lol:

I remember when I was a Steamrail Volunteer we had to fit aircon units as it was a requirement or PN wouldn't hire the loco think it was mid/late 2004 when they where fitted to the T Classes and S Class.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Oh Christ Aaron, I didn't see that. Very observant of you