Post subject: Dem routes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

What does DEM stand for?

Post subject: Re: Dem routes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Digital Elevation Map

Basically it's a digital map that shows the elevation (height) of the ground. We use them to make 'DEM' based routes for Trainz.

A DEM base route is a 'blank' route with a map of some sort overlayed and the hills, etc, pre-made based off a 'real' DEM map.

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:06 pm 

I SEE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:07 pm 

G'day H222,

That's not quite correct, Zec. Jamie, D. E. M. is the acronym for Digital Elevation Model, which, as he correctly points out is digitally based data of a MODEL of almost the entire Earth's terrain (read "surface"). With the help of different external programs (such as TransDEM, Mapmaker and MicroDEM, of which you may have read) and numerous freely available Digital Topographic Maps (depending on the location), this 'data' can be used to create a route in Trainz, that has the 'visible' terrain exactly (within the confines of the resolution of 'the data') the same as the real world of the area being covered by the route...

...however, despite Zec's implication, not all DEM based routes are of the 'bare bones' variety that can be found in the "Jerkers_DEM_maps" folder on the Victrainz 'Server'. Merely being 'tagged' as "DEM based" does not automatically mean that the route (per se) does not have any of the normal details included in it. It is possible (although, I stress, this DOES NOT apply to those 'routes' that can be found in the aforementioned folder), that a route may have had 'work' done on it, even though it is DEM based. Zec's own Lilydale route is one such case...

...the idea is that you download one of my available routes (or any of those from anywhere else they may be avialable - or ask me very nicely if I will create that 'special' one for you if the area you want covered is not already covered and I will create that "bare-bones" route) to work your merry heart out on, turning it into the "route of the century"...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 pm 

so thats why when i downloaded korumburra to leongotha + branches i thought trainz messed up again. So what do the blue and red lines represent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
V class (goods)

Red is roads, Light Blue is track and Dark Blue is water. And if it were possible to zoom out far enough, the other colours would represent words.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 pm 

thanks steam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:58 am 

G'day H222,

You may also get occasional 'splotches' of pink (mostly squarish blocks), which represent the location of important government buildings - schools, hospitals and Police Stations, et c. and perhaps a number of darkish green 'dotted' lines which represent the location of fences, all depending upon the 'age' of the map...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:56 pm 

Jerka whilst we are on the topic...
And perhaps others might like to see it too?
Can you outline or better still detail the process of overlaying a google earth picture over a baseboard . (And no hurry :lol: )

presuming the boards are still about 720 m squared. I have 30 odd boards together making my map Sunshine to Spencer Street. Some of the Sp. St. end is missing.
I need to texture some "things" that I can download but I need to do these individually. I don't understand how I orientate the compass to match reality...
cut the google earth pictures up to size and then rejoin them in surveyor
Scaling?

I have absolutely no idea how this all fits together, although I have seen examples of it but have not found tutorials showing how it goes together.
And please shake my memory.. How do you lift the point of view higher as you have done in your screenshots. I know you cannot work from the new height, but it is nice to overlook a larger area.

As you can see I have not been into Surveyor map building for a long time.

And Zec how does any of this change in 2009, where I will building my Melbourne map.

Cheers
Rod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

No real changes to how surveyor works, as such. When you are ready to start it, you will need to do a simple 'import' process for DEM's in TS09. There is a small bug in the map files that breaks some things in 09, easy fix of merge the DEM to a blank baseboard layout and then delete the extra baseboard.

The major change is the 5m grid, and the stuff the goes along with it. This can be changed over 'on the fly', but you will need to be wary of the ground textures becoming 'pixellated' when you do the change over.

Beyond that, no real difference :)

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.