VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Been a while..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 am 
D3 class (light lines)

G'day once again,
It's been a while but I'm returning to Trainz. The one thing I was wondering before purchasing the game is what game are most of you fella's developing your content on. I'm leaning towards buying TS2012 which I believe is the latest from N3V?

Cheers in Advance,
Matt Oaten

Post subject: Re: Been a while..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm 
R class (express passenger)

G'day Matt,
Most people develop for anything above TS09, but I think it may be best to go as it can run most content. you won't have trouble with things being made for versions above and if anything below is faulty the effort it takes to fix it is worth the trouble it saves you from :)

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

A lot of my latest content will end up being for TS12, same goes for a few other creators. For diesels, this means two separate versions for TS12/TS2009-2010, so instead I'll probably just go with TS12. For steam, there are some functions that may require TS12 to work correctly, particularly for sounds.

Regards
Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
D3 class (light lines)

Hello All,
So I bought TS2012 a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it. I haven't played the 'Trainz' franchise since the 2006 version so its great to see all the dramatic improvements. The quality to which the models are at now is incredible. (I have purchased some payware DD's Zec ;) ). There are some absolutely fantastic content out there. Especially in the Australian sector. I've waited a few weeks to post, to give me time to look around and bring myself up to speed with everything before potentially asking something stupid. My apologies if I ask something stupid or have missed something.

A few questions I have;
- When I was active on the forums quite a while ago, a VR C class steam was being made by Jerker, I read a 2012 post (For memory) saying that they hadn't been completed yet and were being developed to a TS09 standard. Any updates on that?
- PL cars. I saw a couple of screenshots of a few and was just wanting to know an update. (I know all you content creators have a lot on your plate, juggling many projects, I'm just curious).
- Cars with elliptical roofs (I did read a 2012 post by Zec saying they havent been developedy yet(?)
- Multiplayer sessions. That seems like such an incredible thing to have. Driving a long side other users. When I checked the forum , it seems nothing has happened for a while.. Any reasoning behind this?
- Reskins of K103. Were they released or for private use?
- Timo released a J class whistle pack from 2010? The link is now broken. Are they still available?
- Does the 'Content Manager' and the Download Station have the same downloads available on them?
- (Something tedious) In game, is there a way when you're in free roam (button 4), that the camera is flat on the ground around cuttings? It seems as though there is quite a large hitbox for the camera, and it sits above the ground. Its fine on flat terrain, but wherever there is elevation or depressions, the camera doesn't seem to like it.

I dont mean to sound needy, just wondering on a few queries. I'm really enjoying being back and thank everyone for the countless hours of hardwork they put into every asset. :)
Thanks in advance for any responses,
Matt Oaten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 pm 
R class (express passenger)

G'day Matt, good to hear you're enjoying yourself :)

For once I feel like I could be some help :lol:
- the C class Garry was working on hasn't had any updates from what I've seen in a while, though he has been working on a large collection of VR buildings and objects that you can check out by searching his username on the DLS. These are fantastic for building prototypical routes :)
- the PL cars you've been seeing were made by Pete (ad602000) a while ago from a request. I don't believe these ever made it out of beta however and with permission you might be able to receive the pack from someone. Timothetoolman has done some textures for them to suite both 1920s and 1950s era liveries.
- several people have done various reskins of Zec's K103, myself included. None of these have been released but Zec and I were talking about including my Canadian Red variation in a texture update some time in the future.
- the link to Tim's whistle pack for the J's has definitely expired by now, though if you send him a polite PM he may be happy to send you what he has, though I believe as these were made a while ago they have been outdated.
- yes, what shows up on Content Manager is the same as the Download station for the most part, but sometimes the download helper in CM can be a bit of an annoyance. When this happens you can find the same assets on the online DLS and download them via a FTP link :)
- as for the camera, not much can really be done about this. One can finesse the camera do a degree by holding the shift key while using the arrows but this will only get you so far. you can activate a slight mod in the game configuration known as freeintcam which allows you to float a camera out of the locomotive while in cab view (the 1 key) which is not affected by terrain. You can also zoom in and out using it to achieve some interesting views :) however this camera also responds to the movement of the locomotive, so when the loco moves the camera does too, and it is rather slow to move.

Hope this helps a little, not much else I am aware of in regards to your other questions but I'm sure someone else here will be able to fill in the gaps :)
Cheers
Stevo