VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

G'day Rod,

There's no reason why you couldn't use the Trackrite roadbed with the Woodland Scenics risers but I've been looking at the images you've supplied and I have to ask..

...if you can transfer your drawn lines onto the plywood base you have there, why don't you then cut your subroadbed out of the plywood base as we did at HBMRC and 'lay' that on risers?...

...I'm assuming that things like the depression already built into the base (in the return part of the loop) are intended to provide for lower areas of terrain(a river in this case)?...

...I didn't get to the exhibition at all last year, so I know nought of the fellow of which you speak...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:36 pm 

Jerker wrote:
G'day Rod,

There's no reason why you couldn't use the Trackrite roadbed with the Woodland Scenic's risers but I've been looking at the images you've supplied and I have to ask..

...if you can transfer your drawn lines onto the plywood base you have there, why don't you then cut your sub roadbed out of the plywood base as we did at HBMRC and 'lay' that on risers?...

That was my original plan, same as HBR and using Trackrite instead of the very dusty caneite. However because I was unable to get full 2400/1200 sheets home in the car, I had to settle for smaller 1200/ 600 sheets and some off cuts. Of course now as I think about cutting it all out, I am going to have to patch the cutout almost for its entire length. However it might pay me to get a dozen sheets of ply delivered for a fee of $35 and do it properly. The shorter lengths can be used elsewhere :|
Jerker wrote:
...I'm assuming that things like the depression already built into the base (in the return part of the loop) are intended to provide for lower areas of terrain(a river in this case)?...

I If you mean the lower sections on the return loop in the picture above the words "The 2500 maximum side is mainly influenced by the doorway", then, no as that will be / has been already covered The piece to the left of the gap has been raised to give me another 90mm clearance to make it easier to crawl under :) If you mean the top level under the window, then no as the off cuts were used on the outer edge of the table, however in this case opportune because I will construct a type of Bunbury street tunnel effect by bringing the SG up underneath and alongside (back of) a BG station :)

Jerker wrote:
...I didn't get to the exhibition at all last year, so I know naught of the fellow of which you speak...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:18 pm 
A2 class (walscheart's) (passenger)

Very interesting layout idea Rod, in fact is very similar to what Dad has planned (although at the moment there's no shed or room to make a layout! :P). Just make sure that you test every piece of track you lay down, so you save yourself the hassles later when it's too late ;)

Tom :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:08 am 

Well here it is almost Friday morning, and I have only been out in the train room once since I returned from Melbourne :cry: And that was only to drop off the 6 sheets of ply that arrived on Wednesday.
However I am thankful that I had paid for the ply, because after spending everything I had at Collingwood I now have to wait another week to get back in the black once more. However I will not be going to Caulfield this year. Much too expensive these model railway shows :roll:
Still unable to work out how I am going to arrange the tracks in the reversing loop, but I did purchase a rather useful marking out tool today to help get the radii at least right.
I was fortunate to pick up 3 new T Class at the $120 price as well as the last VR X Class (48) at $250
A new Exhibitor was End of the Line Hobbies, And as well as being a stockist of Peco Code 75 track, he was selling SEM AE, BE and ABW cars fully assembled and painted. The price was very reasonable and I ended up with 4 of them. As well I got two VR oil pots Built by AJin in Korea and distributed by Train Hobby. These are brass models and extremely nice pick ups. Well worth the several hundred dollars they cost me ;)

So now I can get rid of some Freight Australia T Class's and at least one FA X Class that are not in my era of VR changing over to V/Line.
Cheers
Rod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 am 
Site Admin

I might be interested in one of those FA T's at a later date Rod...

BTW... What you doing to do with that GN T ;) :P

Nice pickup with those E cars! I do hope that shorter ABW is actually lettered as an ABU, otherwise you can't run it with VR/VLine Diesels ;) They were lettered as ABU between 1961 and 1970 (according to PJV's site).

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am 
R class (express passenger)

Nice models,
my brother, (Stevy) has been looking for some VR Excursion stock for a while. Problem is that he is looking fro them in N scale, bot H0/00. We could find some but they were a kit and cost $45 each :o
If anyone knows where we can find some sing out :)

Timo :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Not surprising. VR in N scale is relatively rare still. Aust-N-Rail, Spirit Design, and a couple of others. 99% kits. That said, a RTR 'W' car, or 'E' car would probably double or triple from the price of the kit, no matter which way you look at it. RTR or 'RTR' from a kit. Probably double for a 'RTR' model. I would say triple from a RTR from kit model.

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm 

S301 wrote:
I might be interested in one of those FA T's at a later date Rod...

BTW... What you doing to do with that GN T ;) :P

Nice pickup with those E cars! I do hope that shorter ABW is actually lettered as an ABU, otherwise you can't run it with VR/VLine Diesels ;) They were lettered as ABU between 1961 and 1970 (according to PJV's site).

Zec

Hello Zec,
they are ABW's and I ordered some long AW and BW cars from the same source.
I might not put a Freight Australia X up front, but I am not that perdantic about codes, at 15 mph no body can read them anyway :D
Cheers
Rod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm 

Wednesday April 22 Warm and sunny, and I got out and bit the bullet!

Originally I decided to buy short pieces of ply that I could fit in the wagon just to save $30 Delivery of full sheets.
It did not work, and I removed all the short sheets and constructed 4 large pieces to fill in where the tracks will go. The outside will be cut away with the jig saw to form the 1.5% track climbing around to the upper level. The way I had it built would have given me about 16 pieces to jig together to form the climbing track bed

The upper section has been lifted because first it was blocking too much view of the bottom layer and Secondly, I was having difficulty crossing the SG line underneath the station on the top level. So I have raised the BG station track 40 mm which reduces the short grade to slightly less than 2%.
I will have to remove the top level in front of the pillar (spirit level is near it) and use a single track long bridge to span the gap and still allow double stack space under neath the BG yard. I will put a short lowered floor between the upper level bench boards to support the scenery and cut the top level view away from the bottom level view.
I was thinking that two plate girder bridges can carry the BG storage road and the grain silo roads accross the same gap. In my head it looks "do-able!"
Now I better search the catalogs to find the bridges :)
Hmmm tomorrow I can cut out the brick piers to allow the ply to settle up against the walls and then I can redraw the storage tracks and the transition track to the top level. I have an appointment with the Urologist to see how my kidney is coping with things and make sure the cancer has not returned. Then hopefully get this track in place so I can run trains from the top level to the bottom level. Well its a start except for this damn 2 steps forward and one step back :)

Cheers and we can see how we go and maybe get some more done!
Rod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:05 am 

Anzac Day One day I hide away, and so a good time to do something more with the layout!
25 April 2009 Lest We Forget!

Still you would think with all this thinking, I would make far fewer mistakes :(
So a few questions...
How much clearance do I need from the top of the roadbed to the top of my highest vehicle?
Answer is found by laying a section of code 100 rail into some "trackrite Undelay" and using the NMRA

track gauge see how much space I need. First picture suggests the gauge is pretty accurate for double

stacks ( You never know my Yankee mates might want to run a train some day :)
So it looks like 9.00 cm should be more than enough.

Sure like working with ply. Much easier to cut with a jig saw than chip board. So having cut it out

and temporarily lifted it into a close approximation of its eventual position, I now have to work out

how high each pier needs to be to maintain a steady 1.5% gradient.
Now I dont have an inclinometer and frankly have no idea how to build one. So how do I work out the

height of each pier?
I guess I could roughly measure the distance the track will travel, and construct a scale graph with

distance along the horisontal, and height on the vertical. I have butchers paper, so I could do it in

real 1:1 scale Then simply work out how far the riser is from the 0 point, then measure off the height

on my graph. Unless someone can suggest an easier way, I guess that will have to do ;)

Replaced the storage / silo upper level module in its raised position. Note the 40mm cross pieces

which will lift the yard above the station level, thus allowing the SG to cross underneath 40 mm

higher and thus retain its 1.5% gradient.
Also removed a small portion of benchwork to enable the SG to cross underneath with no increase of

1.5% gradient.

The bottom benchtop still supports 3 BG large storage roads (equal to largest passing sidings

elsewhere)

Cannot go much further till I fix the roadbed in place and maintain the gradient to the top level.
I guess the next job should be to fit the cutting in along the wall, and see where 1.5% ends up. Fix

in place then work back along the spiral. The ply on the left needs to be lifted 40 mm on cross pieces

and lower down after the station.

So lets see where we are next time we meet,
Cheers
Rod

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next