VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: A few things
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Hey all,

The other day I bought a battery powered Dremel which I used to cut the tail of the motor for the RY kit due to me running the motor down the boiler barrel instead of the firebox, the Dremel came with other small tools and thought 'maybe I can finally cut down the SW1500 chassis for conversion to DCC sound'. it took a couple of hours and here's the results, you can find photos in this thread before the cutting.

after cutting

sitting the speaker on the cutting

I also photo'ed the Dremel and the tool on it I used, it's pretty much like a micro mobile miller.
I sat the body on and there's plenty of room inside for wires, the next bit is building a housing for the speaker so it's loud unlike DCCSound.com when you can barely hear them, I might drill into the chassis so the speaker can be screwed in or I might just glue it in.

The decoder will be one of these http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000.php I was thinking a board type like this http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000gn.php but there's no screw holes to mount it to the chassis, only has the center clip slots for Genesis motor mount boards, so I'll keep the original board and use a plug/play 8 pin.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 pm 

of course many have used a box to lift the volume of DCC sounds decoders I think I have tripled the volume of my Y Class and although the two flat tops have new sugar cube speakers (out of Apple ipads) They also are much improved The problem is the baffle box. Auscision will not listen to Mike and build crap enclosures Tsunamis are nowhere near Aussie sounds ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 am 

Hi Rod,

The latest Tsunami's have had their sounds updated and are pretty close now, on the first link I posted scroll to the bottom for the sound samples, the 645E Roots-Blower is the type I'm putting in the SW1500, I wouldn't mind putting Mikes sounds in it if he can put a P2 horn or a K5LA horn, however I dislike the Manuel notching on the 4.0's, you have to press and wait till it notches up and if you hold too long it goes up several notches, Tsunami's are more precise, have to press 7 x2 to go up 1 notch, press it 6x and you go up 3 notches, that way all locos notch up correctly at the same time then do the same with 8 to go down notches.

The Tsunami's are pretty loud without an enclosure though, the MP15AC has the speaker bolted to the weight and no enclosure or the weight is the enclosure as it's solid, however I also think the weight amplifies it and it's also probably because of the large speakers, maybe I'll test that theory out and glue a brass sheet under the speaker.

Is there any Melbourne Shops that sell Tsunami Soundtraxx? I don't really want to order from the U.S as it takes up to 2 weeks, the hobbyshop in Geelong only sells NCE 8 Pin chips and that's about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 pm 

G'Day Aaron
It is pretty obvios that Mike has excellent hearing and that most of us, don't :(
However I got an explanation for volume differences between Tsunami and Loksound from the States recently. It seems that Loksound use sounds from the prototype and set the decoder at 100% of volume. That is it is adjusted not to distort. Turning it up one more degree will distort the little 1 watt speakers. On the other hand Soundcraft digitize their output similar to that which TV stations adjust the volume of commercials. And they set the volume at 125% which does distort a fair bit. You overcome the distortion with the equaliser.
So Soundtraxx BASE their sounds on real locomotives and then digitize them. Loksound use real sounds. Real sounds running at 75% are just too quiet for my old ears. The best way to fix it is to find better speakers and use baffles. Auscision only allow baffles in the 422 so far, and the DCC sounds are loud enough for me.
I have 24 new speakers being shipped from the USA as I write. These are 2 watt mini sugar cube type speakers made for modern phones and tablets. The news is that they lift Loksound to new heights in quality and sound levels. I wait and see.

I will have to read up on the Tsunami notching, as I never ever found out they even could do it :( However Loksound stuffed up the notching on the version 4 decoders. After a lot of reaction from their customers they returned "true notching" to version 4 the same as was fitted to vers 3.5. The first 18 months of production had a stupid form of notching that I hated. A bit like you describe here. But all later production have great notching in my opinion If you use JMRI decoder pro it will tell you what version software you have and if you have not got the later version, you need to upgrade yours.

Cheers
Rod

Aaron™ wrote:
Hi Rod,

The latest Tsunami's have had their sounds updated and are pretty close now, on the first link I posted scroll to the bottom for the sound samples, the 645E Roots-Blower is the type I'm putting in the SW1500, I wouldn't mind putting Mikes sounds in it if he can put a P2 horn or a K5LA horn, however I dislike the Manuel notching on the 4.0's, you have to press and wait till it notches up and if you hold too long it goes up several notches, Tsunami's are more precise, have to press 7 x2 to go up 1 notch, press it 6x and you go up 3 notches, that way all locos notch up correctly at the same time then do the same with 8 to go down notches.

The Tsunami's are pretty loud without an enclosure though, the MP15AC has the speaker bolted to the weight and no enclosure or the weight is the enclosure as it's solid, however I also think the weight amplifies it and it's also probably because of the large speakers, maybe I'll test that theory out and glue a brass sheet under the speaker.

Is there any Melbourne Shops that sell Tsunami Soundtraxx? I don't really want to order from the U.S as it takes up to 2 weeks, the hobbyshop in Geelong only sells NCE 8 Pin chips and that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 am 

Hey all,

Spent all night doing some work on the K Class kit, the most time consuming bit was the spaces that go between the rods as the holes where so small I needed to bore them out a little.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

A few tips Azza, you're not already doing these :)

When testing, remove the motor from the gearbox. That way you can roll test it. If it binds up, then you need to do more work. If it rolls freely, you're good. Roll it on a tile or glass or similar.

If it does bind, look for the rod that is a 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock. This is the rod that will be binding. Check if the rod is 'tight' around any of the crank pins. Otherwise, /very/ carefully (a small amount at a time) open each of the holes out.

There is a 'gotcha' with the BGM K. Most (all?) of the current run will have about a 0.5mm difference between the rod and the axle on the rear axle. You may need to open the hole for the crank pin more on the rear rod...

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hey all,

Some new stuff that was added to my collection

Bought the Y as I didn't want to miss out if they where to sell out again.

and the 280 Walker I've been waiting for :) , the walker comes with another set of bogeys with the side frames, however they don't look so simple to fit, I was hoping the frames where detachable like Athearn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
R class (express passenger)

:D Love the 280 Aaron

...the best ever in V/Line in my opinion....travelled a lot of miles in them around the early 70's.

...dan :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:20 pm 

V/line? Thats Victorian Railways, mate...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:48 pm 

postst wrote:
V/line? Thats Victorian Railways, mate...

:lol: ...sorry
..dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next