VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm 
A2 class (walscheart's) (passenger)

April 1st 2013 (No, not an April fools joke).
It's been a year since the track at Dad's old house was pulled up, where not to long after Dad moved out of the rental and into his new permanent house. Of course with the previous layout we never had ambitions of scenery as we knew it would have to be ripped up eventually so what was shown in my Workshop thread was the layout in it's final form. The best thing about a new house isn't the house, but the shed in which the train layout is going. So this thread is designed much like Rod's to update you on the progress on the new layout, which of course will take time! Dad's in charge of the construction and design of the layout, I'm in charge of electronics and moral support...

Preparing the shed - Stage 1
The shed is approx 9mx6m, however due to the fact it has to be insulated it will be a tad smaller than that. The previous owners added a section on at the back which gives the impression that it is two rooms. The rear door will be permanently opened. A false roof with manhole has been installed in the main room for added insulation (and for something to hang the lights off!). The benches are yet to be installed as work is still being completed on the insulation and plastering work.

The Layout - Stage 2
Still a lot to be decided with this stage as how much space there is around the room will determine a lot of things. We will be using Digitrax for our DCC system, including a 5amp command station, 8 amp booster and the Zephyr starter pack as another booster/controller. There will be 3 tracks, one standard gauge, two broad (up and down lines) however they can all be accessed from the storage yards below. There will be lots of industries along the line, including a number along the branch line which will run on a level above the main benches. A lot more to add to this section as a lot of the ideas are sitting in Dad's head!

Scenery and Detail - Stage 3
The branch line will be heavily populated with scenery to represent a display type layout. The main line won't be treated with as much scenery however will be detailed nonetheless. Scenery and detailing however are a long, long way off. The layout has to be running at 100% first!

Now before you see the photos I must say, please mind the mess! Most of it will be either thrown out or stored underneath the layout. Hopefully you can get a better idea of where everythings going once the shed starts to develop more.

A lot more has been done since I took these photos so will endeavour to take some more next time I'm out there. As you can see there is a long way to go before the inaugural train run, however an educated guess will tell you it'll probably be before the Eureka R Class which has been ordered since 2005 arrives (Dad's live in 4 different houses and had 3 layouts since then...).

Till next time!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 am 
R class (express passenger)

:D looking good Tom :D

,,,a big job i see ahead of you both.

...congrats, please keep us updated

....oldfartdan :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Ah Tom
That's looking great :) Hope you can do it quicker than I have :)

Tell your Dad I envy him having a willing helper! I have a son who is interested, but he has never lived closer than 300km since he completed his apprenticeship, and now seems to have permanently settled in Townsville, what is that? 3000km away :(

Although I love my little farm, I would have had more help if I stayed in Melbourne or Wodonga, I guess. Despite all this, I am slowly getting to a stage where I can host visitors and run many trains. Perhaps at end of this year.

I bet you and your Dad get there long before me :D I will be watching with much interest.
Cheers
Rod

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 pm 

Thanks fellas :) Yes it's getting there slowly, starting to pick up pace now that Stage 1 is almost complete (benchwork was started today). Here's a few more photos during construction (the whole thing is painted now).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:26 pm 

Hi all,

Another update from the Andersons railway shed. A lot of work has been done since the previous shots were taken, including a lot of benchwork and a bit of testing. The roof caved in due to heavy rain/hail in the back room which halted progress quite significantly, however that has since been fixed (still have to replace the piece of plaster though). On to the photos...
As we'll be having two BG and one SG track wiring becomes a bit complicated. Here shows the track arrangement for where the Apex siding will be as will as where the stabling yard line joins up to all 3 tracks (so you can come off any line to go into the stabling yard), looking much like Kilmore East does. Happy to say I got it working first time with all the insulators and droppers required, Y164 doing the honors of testing.
An overview of the main room, still a mess!
Storage yard underneath, can hold a few trains thats for sure!
Looking the opposite way to the 2nd photo, showing the main level of the layout which is sitting on top of the storage yard.

It's all slowly getting there, looking much more promising now though which most of the benchwork done!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm 

Hi all,

Lots more progress to show with the main junction now almost complete.
Shows where one of the stations will be located (in the gap on the left), SCT sidings and SG loop to the right.
T333 and R707 doing some testing in the SCT siding/loop road.
Main junction showing the intricate point work plus the sugar siding on the left.
The Main junction signal box/diagram, Apex siding crosses over the SG. (Concrete is the SG mainline, has to go through the high speed points).
The drop down to the storage yards underneath.
This last photo shows how the line to the storage yards will be hidden.

Everything shown is now wired up (including point motors) and everything works to plan which is a good sign for everything else electronically. The 3rd photo shows the electrical work on the left including where the bus wire will run through (easy access).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:51 am 
R class (express passenger)

looking fantastic Tom, slowly progressing.

....dan ;)