VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VR in N scale?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:18 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

Greetings all,

Took a visit to the Victorian Hobby Centre today during a 2 hour break between tuts at Swinburne and had a look at their collection of rolling stock and locos (as well as plastic model kits). I originally planned on having a look at the ausicion A60 (which I did) but was also fascinated by the N scale models on display. As I'm on a student budget with no job the N scale rolling stock and track pieces were perfectly within my budget and would suit the lack of space I have at home for a proper layout in HO.

There I saw some VR and V/line freight cars and a single G class loco and I was wondering how much VR stuff is available in this scale? I'm rather tempted to have a module in HO and a layout in N now...

Post subject: Re: VR in N scale?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Adem
The prices of N scale are pretty close to HO scale, when it comes down to it. The best place to look is here: http://aust-n-rail.com.au/

The links section has most of the other major players in N scale for Vic/Aus. The other one is Spirit Design (not linked to from the above site): http://spiritdesign.com.au/

Locos may be a little cheaper for RTR, and track will be somewhat cheaper (particularly pointwork), but VR rolling stock is pretty much the same price.

Rolling stock availability is a bit more limited as well. Note, VR steam is exceptionally hard to get...

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:37 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

I'll have to have a look through those sites. Steam may indeed be rare but I typically prefer the VR/Vline period in both trains and model form. I've seen a B and low nose T available ready to run for a Bit lower than HO. I'm not surprised about VR stuff being more costly however given the limited market. I might get some American stock as well as I've never been hugely fussed about historical accuracy, I just enjoy seeing trains go by.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:10 pm 
R class (express passenger)

I'm gonna try and help you out here... there is no where near enough VR stuff in N scale to have a mighty interesting layout. I bought a K class kit off ebay... that set me back $200 and I have to put it together AND it doesn't have all the bits. The bloke I bought it from also had a T class... another $400 or so, retail price.

If you want to build in a small space I can suggest two things, a Brittish or American N scale Layout (there is alot available for these regions in this scale) or, if you prefer VR, a small HO scale module. I would pick the module, as I am a VR enthusiest (I know, I made a mistake ok! :lol:)

Another option is HOn scale. American HOn3 is rather common but you can still give it an Australian feel so if you find some Australian narrow gauge in the future it may still fit in with your layout :)

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

You can get away with a fairly good VR layout in a small space in HO scale. One of the best VR shunting layouts that I know of is 'End of the Line' :)

Beyond that, a small industrial yard style layout can fit a lot in, and you can do a good VR based layout using one of these as a basis.

Or, if you want something more 'mainline'/'branchline', then a few of the smaller stations (with some selective compression) can work quite well :)

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

Well the only area(s) I have available at the moment for a layout are a shelf section 20cm deepx80cm long and an old computer desk on collapsible legs that's just under a metre deep and two metres long. I'd love more space but that's reserved for everything else I already have in my room (including 3 multi-tier shelves full of books and model aeroplane kits (including four that I have yet to build or complete).

Looking at it, American N might be a decent idea as I like how some of their diesel locos look. I heard somewhere that the mechanical side of British N scale locos is different, does anyone know how?
I've already got one simple HO 'Module' of a few short sidings that holds my current collection (two AN SD40s, a UP 0-6-0 and a tangerine V/Line S class plus two UP boxcars, a ballast hopper, two tankers and a caboose as well as two Pennsylvania pullman passenger coaches).

I do love the Aussie stuff but with $150 a month for personal spending (including on the myki top-ups) I can't really afford much of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:22 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

American in N is a great layout, if you have the interest. Most New locos are less than $100 (including shipping) and are of a nice quality

Jamie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:41 am 

H222 wrote:
Most New locos are less than $100

Hell yeah! I bought a pair of brand new ATLAS UP GP15s at $80 a piece, ran perfectly. A bargin! :)

Stevo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:53 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

I've been buying bigger stuff, as in, huge mainline frieght - so far I have (over the last year or so)

1 x Amtrak P42 Genesis Phase III
2 x Amtrak P42 Genesis Phase IV
2 x Amtrak P42 Genesis Phase V
1 x Amtrak F40PH Phase III

2 x Santa Fe/BNSF Dash 9 Warbonnet
10 + 5 + 9 Container (TTX) wagons
and 34 40ft or 53ft containers
6 Boxcars
6 Autoracks, UP, Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Conrail and Norfolk Southern - also planning to buy heaps of UP freight locos - SD70M's, SD70Ace in George Bush and Southern Pacific Heritage, and BNSF SD70MAC's and BNSF SD70Aces.

And passenger Cars

1 8 Car Phase III Superliner Set
1 8 Car Phase IV Superliner Set
1 Extra Phase III Coach Baggage Car
1 Amtrak Boxcar

AND - ATSF F7's and A 8-Car Santa Fe super Chief

All in all, a lot of money :lol: maybe 2 grand? Plus bits here and there of birthday's and Christmas

Jamie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:58 am 

Yeck! Amtrak! :P