VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tookayerta Railway- SAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 am 
V class (goods)

Hi All,
Over the past year since my brother moved out of home, I have taken over the train room and made it my own. Considering Pete models VR/Vline and that is what I had been running since he got me into the hobby, it was time for a change. A good change. I started modelling the SAR, based around the Strathalbyn region. The track layout is very similar to Strathalbyn, however there are a few minor differences.

So far, all the track in the yard is down, station building and platform are in, as is the goods shed and Coal tower, which is a model of the Eudunda coal tower. The Eudunda coal tower was a small wooden 15ton tower, which was similar to many towers around the state, such as Strathalbyn, Minnipa, Mt Gambier and other such places.

The station building is based on Mt Lofty Station building which incorporates a signal cabin.

The Goods shed has been constructed from a Strath Hobbies SAR Stone Goods Shed polyurethane kit. This needed alot of work to get it upto scratch. But it now looks the part. I still want to add a raised watertank next to the goods shed, but that will happen in time.

The plan of attack now that the track is all wired is to add the backscenes, then scenic the yard. I plan on trying to make this yard look like a lighty laid country yard where the rails only just peek through the dirt and ballast. What SA yard wouldnt be without a Peppercorn tree or two, hense I need to make a few of these aswell as purchasing 2 or 3 Auscision Palm trees, iconic behind SAR stations.

This yard will have a range of industies including, grain/wheat, general goods, cattle and the possibility of a small fuel plant.

My rollingstock will consist of OER and BGB OB open wagons, BGB M vans, DWFs and D vans, and a range of Strath Hobbies kits. Passenger stock will include Strath Hobbies centenary cars and BGB steel cars. Locomotives include Traino 930's a scratchbuilt 350, Bluebird railcars and an Rx when I purchase this soon. There will also be the occasional visitor locomotive from my brothers. Often either a 500 or 800 diesel or 720 steamer.

The layout sits in a 3mx4m room, so not much room, however, in my head I have it all worked out. On the opposite side of the room, will be the main port and industrial area which will incorporate a butter factory, mill, woodyard, and naturally the port. The port will be based in the mid 1900's. So I dont this we will see the QM2 in the port anytime soon. This yard will also be a junction, with a line heading back out of town on an uphillgrade which will take the line back around above Tookayerta. This will be another smaller yard, of which I havn't fully planned yet.

Below are some images of the layout to date.

http://sartrainz.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Wow, looks great so far :) Can't wait to see more progress :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Seconded :)

Stevo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:03 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

^ what he said + 1

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm 
V class (goods)

Thanks for you comments. I will continue to update the thread as the layout progresses. Hopefully in the next few weeks when I have time we should start to see the scenery developing. I should also be getting an Engine Shed built by my brother for my birthday in a few weeks time. So I am looking forward to that.

Again thanks for your comments.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:48 pm 
V class (goods)

So my birthday has now gone, and Pete who I thought was building me an engine shed for the layout didn't. Instead he comes in with a wooden box, with foam lining, and a Scratchbuilt SAR 620 Steam Loco. He got me! He had been showing me the 620 for weeks, and its been all over the net aswell. Except I thought it was his. Turns out he was building 2 at the same time. It was a great surprise and I thank him heaps for it.

My girlfriend got me a Strath Hobbies FB kit. Fantastic kit. Brass etch wrapper around a VR products underframe. This has just been finished except paint and decals.

tookayertamr.blogspot.com.au