VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mahaikah Railway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All
Having recently purchased an HOn30 NA, I've been considering what would be interesting to model.

The first thing that comes to mind for me, for any VR NG ideas, is the proposed extension to Tolmie (later proposed to extend to Mahaikah instead). As such, I'm looking to build a small layout based off a fictional town/area on the proposed extension.

At the moment, I am simply looking at a small 'test' layout that I can run my NA around on, along the lines of an Inglenook type layout (although a little different to a standard one). A few odd siding setups existed on the NG, particularly on the Walhalla line, but also on the Gembrook line (Nobelius Siding), and possibly on the Beechy.

If I ever actually go further with this layout, I intend on building a terminus for the line (likely using a fictional name, aka the VR changed it's mind again...). This would actually be setup as an interchange with a network of 2ft6in logging tramways, which would be directly connected to the mainline. Part of my idea is to 'modernise' the layout by having the tramway operating trains along the line as well, so as to reduce transhipping of materials (and hence allowing a large variety of motive power, and rolling stock). The tramway is likely to be modeled off the Powelltown tramway in many respects, mainly around the run from Yarra Junction (the 'mainline'), including the use of larger motive power.

Taking inspiration from the UK, and the fact that the 'existing' section to Whitfield was near flat, and had a larger possible loading gauge (with modifications to some buildings/signals if needed), I also plan to look at building a number of the 'transport' wagons, based on those used on the Leek and Manifold light railway in the UK (of which I am looking at a model of one of their locos for the layout). Although this would have meant a larger loading gauge, it would have reduced transhipping of freight (again, issue of the VR NG lines...), and might have given a larger potential to the operation of the line, particularly if you include the extension.

As there is likely to be more traffic, due to the timber trains, I will also be looking into a slightly 'larger' safeworking system for the terminus, and for an intermediate stations/sidings. For example, my 'test' layout will likely end up using a ground frame (2 points, 1 locking lever, the existing frame would fit)...

I'm going to likely design much of the layout in Trainz, so I may end up posting some pics from in Trainz to show some of my ideas :)

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

Post subject: Re: The Mahaikah Railway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Well, slight progress on the Mahaikah railway...

First is that I now have some rolling stock for it. 3 NQR's (built, no couplers, unpainted), an NH (Powder van, part built), an NT (insulated van, part built), NU (unbuilt), NB 'compartment' car (unbuilt) and an NBC guards van (unbuilt).

Also, after some testing, I'll be putting Sergent couplers onto these. They fit, and look fairly reasonable (if a bit over scale!), and work far better than the MicroTrains couplers IMO :) Wasn't even able to assemble one of them! :s

Zec

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 am 
R class (express passenger)

I look forward to hearing and seeing some of this :) I am quite a fan on HOn :)

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:50 pm 

But you don't like that Cudgewa-Shelly line that Andrew Collier modelled in a scale or gauge like said before...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 pm 

nathan1000 wrote:
But you don't like that Cudgewa-Shelly line that Andrew Collier modelled in a scale or gauge like said before...

Yeah... wait, what? :P The Shelly line model? Have you got a link... and pictures?

Stevo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 am 

I showed you over msn, and you were like what is with the retarded gauge and scale? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am 

don't remember saying that... unkess you mean the HOn thi- oh... I remember now :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:16 am 

:lol: Ha, yeah that's right

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

The first photo of the Mahaikah railway...

Please excuse the dodgy focus, didn't realise till the whole lot was packed up :(

Behind the train are two sidings, which will serve a small quarry (likely using a horse tramway to bring the loading in). The loading facilities here will be designed to handle both NQR's and I wagons (on 'transporter' wagons).

Zec

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:42 pm 

Will it be hard to find more locos?