VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 pm 
R class (express passenger)

I'll add in here as it's my thread...

Nathan; The I wagons were suggested to me by many of the experienced modellers, (both here and elsewhere) as a 'beginners kit', something that, if you are new to kit building, in this case with Steam Era Models kits. One is allowed to be very happy with their first models, as I was the one (with help from Stephen of course) to construct both I wagons, of which (as my modual is set, Zec) in between 1960 and 1970, when steam was becoming rarer allow with 4-wheeled wagons, (the I being slowly converted into other types of rollingstock, including some GY variations) so naturally the 'late' scheme was what I'm aiming for (i.e 1958-72) Therefore, noth Stephen and myself are more than abliged to present our work and and be very pleased about, even if it is, to quote you here, 'that I wagons are not exactly interesting' A first model (or in this case 2) that has turned out better than I could have forseen. 'I just don't understand your relevance of that project' Well, here's your answer. Practice. 'nuff said?

The BW, I must say, is a near completely Stephen-constructed model, myself only helping with the cutting out. Everything you see there, is his work, and I must say it looks smashing. Aaron, I would say that, whilst hand-painting the window frames is less hassle, for one who is not extremely comfortable with a paint brush to paint such accuracies, the good old 'mask-n-spray' works wonders in any, if not every situation. If also helps to keep everything neat.

In many respects, I hope to have a go and the painting some day, as I still have an M, U, T and B still awaiting the final details before going into prep, however, I still have to aquire the correct handbrake/shunters step etchings of which, under this very afternoon, I was unable to afford without feeling money consious. Perhaps I may visit RNE again tomorrow for necessary parts. Depends on whether I can get out of bed :lol:

I am starting to browse for RTR rollingstock after my payday (been working these last 2 weeks) and so I must plan what I will, or may, purchase. Whilst I am very tempted to buy a set of Aucision E carriages, I only think 1 would be sufficent. AFAIK there is no RTR or kit models of the VR BCE, and though I hear there is a brass kit on the way, I'd like to stick to plastic for the time being. Other temptations is a VR series 3 or 4 T class, a VR Y class or perhaps something in terms of scenery. However, whilst these are on a list of 'possibles' I am also interested in setting some, if not all and perhaps more money on a brand new computer (one that plays TS12 without any lag and with Sony Vegas which I may require for my year 11/12 VET course) or just spoil my mates with it. I'm yet to decide. Until I do, I'll be full-on combing the net for possibles.

Anyway, my post rate should return to normal next week as I resume my holidays (hence why my recent posts have been few, but long in response) and hopefully so will and progress on my model.

Until the next long-winded and extremely dull update
Tim :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:51 pm 

Did you see the decals I put on the I last night, Tim? :lol:

I would suggest A new loco, or some DCC equipment for your B class... or maybe start a steam roster? ;P

Why we're at RNE we must pick up some matte over coat...

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am 

Quick update;

I went to the shed this morning before it got too hot and replaced a set of points which a more prototypical one with a small curve radius, which also required some 'bodging' with the attatched curve, which required pulling out an angle grinder (which thankfully after 2 weeks of use I'm fairly compotent with) and cut a small makeshift curve from a length of flexi-track. No photos as yet, perhaps tonight though as once it is alot cooler (it gets way too hot in the shed way too quickly) with some actually train movements.

Cheers
Tim :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:49 am 

What in HELL did I eat/drink today to give me the pacience to spend 10 hours or so building this?

...my soldering skills need a bit of practise, but I seem to be alright at scaling...

...now, how big does the rest of this need to be...

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:03 am 
Site Admin

WOW!

Very nice work! Very very nice! :)

And your soldering looks pretty good from here!

If you're using electrical solder, try getting some of the 'Brunel Hobbies' solders and fluxes (best are 180c, 145c, and 70c solders - this will allow you to solder multiple layers without melting the other bits off!, and the number 1 flux will do you for 99% of jobs). You brush the flux on where you want the solder, then put a small amount of solder on your soldering iron, then put the solder onto the flux/metal. The flux is what allows the solder to 'take' to the metal, so by brushing it on, you can control pretty accurately where it will go. Takes a bit of practice, but makes life much easier!

Temp control soldering iron will help, but not necessary if you're working with brass :) The 145C solder will suit 99% of jobs, although the higher the temp the stronger the join :)

That said, I used electrical solder for my WT kit, and it came out pretty good! It's not the worst thing to use by a long shot, just you won't get as much control over it :)

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:32 am 

Why thsnk you, Zec :)

I put Gel flux on the part of the Peco rail I want to solder. Like you said, the solder flows pretty easily :)

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:34 pm 

Now, theres half a stockyard...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Hi Steve,

That awesome work! The soldering work looks pretty good too :)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:17 pm 

postst wrote:
Now, theres half a stockyard...

Cheers

You spent 10 hours doing that? What is wrong with you, Stevo? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:25 pm 

nathan1000 wrote:
You spent 10 hours doing that? What is wrong with you, Stevo? :lol:

Eh, on and off...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next