VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Hey guys,

Well, I finally got into construction of my model railway. With the baseboard completed in a matter of hours, I settled into the cold night making up a final trackplan for the route. Based on Zec's 'Tecoma' the idea of being a small terminus seemed the best option for the scale I have and the size I had. There are a few little changes to the design, of which includes a loop to allow locomotives to run round their trains after shunting. The trackplan follows...

I intend to model the layour in Trainz first, mainly to get everything spaced out. The trackplan is identicle to my previous route project, but with more accurate measurements Mk2 is perhaps a better option.

I'll use this thread for pics, info and updates for the route, and all comments, good or negative (as in constructive critisisms) are welcome. Trainz screenshots may also appear here as reference points so don't call me out for posting them here.

Looking forward to the tasks ahead,
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Timo
A few things I've learned with Tecoma, first is to ensure that the loco siding is slightly shorter than the headshunt... Second, make the gap between the 'yard' points, and the loco siding points, shorter...

If you have the width for a run around loop, why not have it opposite to the two goods sidings? This means that you won't interfere with the shunting puzzle (that is the idea behind Tecoma BTW - You have 'cards' representing each wagon, and you shuffle these to give a random 'setup' that you need to create through shunting - see here for more info on the 'Inglenook' shunting puzzles: http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ ... enook.html ).

If you make the loop a 'platform loop' off the mainline, you can also have both a passenger train and the goods in the yard at the same time.

Just remember to ensure that your headshunt ends up the right length for the puzzle (unfortunately, I made mine too long, so I need to place the odd wagon into the headshunt to 'shorten' it!).

I know you may not be intending on using the puzzle side of things so much, however by having the 'puzzle' lengths right, the shunting actually becomes a challenge... If the sidings are too long, it becomes very easy. Of course don't make it too hard either *cough*Devon*cough*, otherwise you can end up getting bored with it!

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 pm 

Zec,

The layout isn't intended to be a puzzle, and nor is the image above 'to-scale'. Once track is laid the trackplan will make more sense. As for the loop I think I'll stick to what I've got, my thinking being that passenger trains being either a railmotor or a short 2 carriage train, plus the locomotive. Freights would be in mid shunt if a pass was to arrive, the main train in their respective sidings and the loco in the headshunt (either isolating or DCC will be needed to prevent controlling 2 locos at once) If the worse comes to worse, I can make the extra length of track locomotive fueling ficilities (coal stage, water tower etc) The turnout issue you brought up will be the 2 turnouts connected together directly, not by another piece of track.

The only problem I've just had is that the scaling in Trainz isn't very good. After ruling up measurements in-game I realise that it is way too small, as scaling it by placing a single piece of track on the baseboard, I think that I'd have too much room, becase 3.5 metres in Trainz isn't 3.5 metres in real life, because real life seems bigger. I guess it's more a place fit on the actual baseboard because Trainz (sadly) won't really cut it the way I'd like it to.

And on a final note I have actually tried a 'Inglenook' puzzle at Sandown a few years ago, and I kept asking the guy there to make them harder because I was finding them too easy... any chance giving yours ago at Caufield? :lol:

Cheers
Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
D3 class (light lines)

looks like it will be a cool layout,but it is not really VR ish. :?

Last edited by b 82 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

Its supposed to be ;)

Stevo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm 

what are you hoping to do in this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

nathan1000 wrote:
what are you hoping to do in this?

Have fun, learn new tricks etc.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm 

Build a module railway? :lol:

Nathan, why do you build model railways? ;) its probably the same reason as the rest of us :)

Cheers
Stevo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm 

Well I definitely am in a good mood after today, purchased a B class and a ZLP/VVPB combo thus starting my collection of VR, and non-Hornby/Bachmann rollingstock...

B75 stands next to ZLP35 and VVPB3 at Postma after the transfer run...
B75 which was needed for other purposes passes the 2 gaurds vans

I plan to collect some freight wagons and perhaps a single passenger carriage (a BCE is on my mind) as well as another locomotive (one day, a B is pretty much overkill on the route it'll run on :lol: )

Hoping other people's purchases from Caufield were worth it, mine definitely was...
Cheers
Tim :ugeek:

Apologies for the image quality, will take some better ones tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 pm 

hehe, purchasing was fun :lol:

Tim, it a VVBP (not VVPB :lol: )

Right now I am constructing a Braced Timber Buffer for the end of layout so the wagons don't roll off the table :lol:

Cheers
Stevo :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next