VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regarding spam threads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All
I've said this a number of times, but need to put it up again.

I generally check the forums at least twice a day, and catch spam threads fairly quickly.

However, posting in these threads does NOT help (the spammers don't read your replies anyway), and your replies in the spam threads DO mean that I need to spend extra time to remove the thread.

As such, in future, please do NOT... I repeat, do NOT, reply to spam on the forums.

If I need to, I will look into taking action (on your account) if anyone replies to these posts in future.

I'm sorry to sound so forceful, however instead of it being a simple few clicks to remove the spam, I now need to remove both the spam and then the thread (these need to be deleted separately).

Thanks
Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

G'day S301,

Zec, "Worldlingo" translates "Guia Para Examen Ceneval Resuelta" as "Guide For Resolute Ceneval Examination" and although I have no idea what a 'ceneval' is, I don't believe it has anything to do with Trains or Trainz or anything else that may run on Railways. This spam thread has been 'rampant' in our 'General Trainz forum' for nearly two weeks, now. I reckon it's time you got rid of it...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 pm 

G'day S301,

Zec, I have just fiound two posts posted in two separate threads that are otherwise identical, by a ''member" who calls himself norman8166 who has only posted those two posts, ever. Each post contains a number of ASCII characters that means absolutely nothing (although with some 'imagination', they could be construed to look like a locomotive). I believe these two posts are nothing more than spam and would recommend that norman8166 be 'watched'...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am 

G'day S301,

Zec, although I haven't opened it to see (seven others have though), I suspect that a topic entitled "unlock iphone 4 3y", as posted by one dappormape (being a new member in my observations - a name I've not see before - and that person's only post, ever), has absolutely nothing to do with Trainz. I believe it is yet another 'spam' posting and should be treated accordingly...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 pm 
Z class (shunter)

For what it's worth, replying to spam threads also confirms to the spambot that the forum it has posted to is "active", and it is quite likely to return in the future. In the same way that you subscribe to e-mail notifications about topics, a spambot will scan a forum and notice replies in it's thread, confirming that people are reading it. Best thing to do is ignore them altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:05 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Hi Zec and others

As an IT person I have worked on these issues in the past and spent 100's of hours doing repairs for people....Not recently as I have retired.

I can say I have seen those mentioned and may have been one who may have had a look as the first name rang a bell of which I will apologise in advance now if i had.

We all know about free AV and Malware programs.....some good some only just making the grade... I use only the best of freeware....call it past experience as a beta tester 25yrs ago.

So every one who use this forum should have excellent protection just in case.

From the oldfartdan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:53 am 

G'day S301,

...for someone supposedly checking the forum two or more times daily, Zec (and I noticed a new post from you yesterday, so I know you were here at least once, then), you don't seem to be doing too good a job at eliminating some very recent Spam that has been detected in the "General Trainz" topic. I count 17 (at the last count) new Topics on subjects NOT related to Trainz from people I have never seen before...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Garry Currently traveling from a Vic Funeral but taking care of the spam whilst stopped overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

Pete please put the forum back as we had it ;) (If you have not already done it)
It takes little time for the 4 or 5 of us that can, to check out the new applicant and aprove only the right ones. There was no complaints from applicants and no more spam when we worked that way :D
Cheers
Rod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

It was put back to by admin aproval only at the time of my last post.

Regards Pete