VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Just noticed your using the wrong signals, that type is TC1-TS04 and doesn't use any T sigs, that signal was set up for basic signalling place that, then invisible signal in front, Zec's signals use the T sigs as they've been set up with a complex script and they won't work properly without them.

I've emailed Garry the route I just set up for him to put in storage for you to download, might be sometime tonight, or tomorrow.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Thank you aaron

Please remember I am using TS10 not 12

dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:14 pm 

G'day oldfartdan,

...you can get the route to which Aaron™ refers from this link..

http://www.storage.victrainz.com.au/Aarons%20Stuff/Route%20for%20Dan.cdp

...and whilst I had it in my possession (not that i don't, still), I 'tested' my Home signal out of no. 2 road (as Post 3 at Dobie)theory to see if my suggested requirement was necessary. Turns out, it isn't. The Signal will work properly without any T Feathers, although I didn't test it with a 'buffer stop' at the end of the head-shunt...

G'day Aaron™,

Aaron, I couldn't find any issues with the route but I couldn't understand the placement of all of those Track Markers or the need for the T Danger Feathers. If I am at a loss, then I am sure Dan will be even more so. Perhaps an explanation for your actions is in order...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 pm 

Hi Garry,

I use trackmarks like Memos, place one down and click '?' on it then write what I need reminders for, in this case I used it to help Dan on the placement of the signals and explains the use of the invisible signal in that spot, I think trainz needs a 'placement pin' put it down and write something on it, for the Geelong route I use TM's for grades, like '1in50 start' '1in50 end' or '1in50 lower' '1in50 upper', I also use TM's for crossing street names, mile post #, distance from crossing, distance from station and so on.

I seem to place T Dangers after signals, doesn't really effect it though, think it's something to do with invisible signals, puts those to danger so they don't read as clear.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 am 

G'day Aaron™,

...now that's an interesting use of Track Markers, Aaron. I must confess I'd never considered using them for that purpose. On that subject, hasn't S301 developed one of his 'spiky do dad thingies' for just that purpose?...

G'day oldfartdan.

...with a little free time to spare, Dan, I went back to the route of which Aaron and I speak and tried my little 'experiment' with one of S301's buffers on the end of the track. As I anticipated, because these act as a signal at stop, it interfered with the 'proper' (read, "desired") operation of the signal, so I would advise against my suggestion to provide a buffer at the end of the head-shunt, unless you use one of mine (which, I'm told don't act as a stop signal - despite my best intentions) or one of the earlier baulks by one of our creators whose identity I cannot recall at the moment (which are possibly of the same ilk)...

Jerker {:)}

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am 

:D Ok Gent's

...On to it this afternoon, as you say Garry to me "VERY CONFUSING" but i'll learn.
Thank you both again for your persistence with me

....dan :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All
This going to throw a spanner in the works, but is how the signals should be setup for use with the current spec VR signals (the 'VR 2 pos' signals that I'm working on):

http://www.zecrail.com/files/temp/Route ... 20Mods.cdp

A few notes. This has been made to match the 'Dobie' yard diagram here: http://www.signaldiagramsandphotos.com/ ... /18'18.htm

Hence the actual starting signal is on 2 road, as per prototype.

The route has invisible signals to represent starting signals on all other roads. This is ONLY necessary to allow you to have two trains arrive at once. In reality, invisible signals should not be used in the route layer, they should be setup by session creators. In other words... Don't use them unless absolutely necessary! They actually cause issues with the block signalling in Trainz, as they are not correctly configured for it.

Now, all of the signals are 'approach release' signals. Hence, if you want to enter 2 road with the far points against you (say, a train is arriving into 1 road as well), the signal will be against you until you are about 20-30m away. At this time, the signal will clear to permit you into the siding. The same will occur for the train arriving into 1 road.

I've tested all of them, and they all clear when you place a loco within 20-30m of the signals with the road set. However, they do not clear from a distance, which is how the signal script is designed to function.

I've also setup actual 'blocks' on each end. The invisible signals do not represent a block, and will not allow the distant signals to clear. In the above example, you can have all signals for 'dobie' clear if no other trains are in the next block :)

I should point out, the signals will not function 'correctly' if you setup just 1 station. You NEED at least one more FULL block either side for the signal system to function.

It is a bit confusing, but it's far easier than fighting with the old signal script, which does not handle junctions properly (without resorting to invisible signals, which cause problems with AI).

Regards

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am 

:D wow where do i start??????

First I would like to thank Aaron for his CDP on the track layout and signalling ( a bit confusing for s learner) but it worked as he said it would.
Secondly I would like to thank Jerker for his comments and explanation as well as testing before posting. Again I start to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
and I must point out that I did notice in an earlier post that there was a problem with signal changing very close to the home signal upon approach, and it appears from my test that this still occurs in my test last night, but I must say that the train would be at a very reduced speed (slowing down to stop) as it approached the station. (only my observation and guess)

And Finally Zec for your CDP that I assume replaces/overwrites the original CDP. I did not notice the changes, but still looks impressive and will alter to what I see. Because the only method I have at my disposal is the map viewer my signal placements are hit and miss to their placement from the platform.
I know I have to have a horn signal at crossings, but if there no crossings in the immediate area of the station do I need them on approach to the station?

Dobie will be completed by tonight as to not only the station but 2 boards of scenery each side of the station (if I get no interruptions) and tomorrow on to Buangor only another 14 1/2 miles away.

Thank you again gent's for your help and support
dan

Latest on CDP from Zec,
All works perfectly, gave them a real good run last night and should have the Buangor signalled in a few days, I only have to work out how to include the goods siding but I have photos of those to work off.