VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Identifying Cab Controls
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 pm 
R class (express passenger)

G'day all,

A project started by a friend of ours is in slight confusion, seeing as I am a novice in Cab controls, especially for steam locomotives, and the fact that the friend is not familiar with Australian railways in general :? So I look to some experienced gunzzles who may be able help identify the function of some of the less obvious levers, nobs and doo-dads show in the picture below of Puffing Billy 6As Cab...

...some other pictures, mainly of the other side, would also be greatly appreciated... oh, we also lost track of the whistle lever and its location :?

Thanks in advance
Stevo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Reverser is the polished silver lever to the right of the image. Immediately left of this are the brake handles (train brake at the top, independant at the bottom), the red 'lever' below the brake handles allows the brake handles to be 'turned off' on the second loco when double heading. Regulator is the horizontal lever on top of the boiler, just above the brake handles in the photo.

The two red levers on the roof are the sanders (1 for front, one for rear). Various 'turret' valves are behind the regulator (these turn the steam on or off to, well, everything apart from the regulator!).

The big brass object at the top of the photo is the hydrostatic lubricator, with various controls for this on it.

The 'tap' in front of the leading fireman's side window is the steam tap for the fireman's injector IIRC. The water tap is hidden by the firebox. The gauge glass is below the mug on the fireman's side (driver's one is behind the independant brake).

The whistle lever is out of view at the top of the pic (you can see the rod to the whistle just next to the sanders).

The two gauges in the upper middle of the photo are the boiler pressure (lower), and westinghouse 'duplex' brake gauge (upper).

It should be noted that each of the NA's vary a bit in the cab layout, although it's generally pretty minor.

Regards

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:54 pm 
H class (express goods/passenger)

The polished copper work is nice, I wonder if VR loco's where all like that during 1860 to 1920s.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Most certainly I would say. Polished copper pipes will provide better insulation than unpolished pipes (when cladding is unable to be fitted). Where live steam connections are concerned this is quite important to insulate it in some way.

Keeping the brake pipes polished is just simply part of housekeeping alongside the live-steam pipework.

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:10 pm 
R class (express passenger)

Thanks Zec, that should be enough to keep us going a while :)

Cheers
Stevo