VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 pm 
Offline
R class (express passenger)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 675
Location: the world of trainz
Do you think that rail companies should have a place to send learner drivers before they go onto the real thing, like simulators of every loco that the company has, and that place teaches them how to drive them?

For people who don't quite understand:
Rail Company sends drivers to Training Facility
Training Facility staff train the drivers to use all different kinds of locos
Drivers, now semi-qualified, follow crews that use the locos around on trips to finish qualification


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
R class (express passenger)
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 pm
Posts: 1176
Location: Someone get me a Map
cjgeddes wrote:
Do you think that rail companies should have a place to send learner drivers before they go onto the real thing, like simulators of every loco that the company has, and that place teaches them how to drive them?

For people who don't quite understand:
Rail Company sends drivers to Training Facility
Training Facility staff train the drivers to use all different kinds of locos
Drivers, now semi-qualified, follow crews that use the locos around on trips to finish qualification


V/line does have official driving simulators, and as most rail companies use V/line drivers (including qualified mainline steam drivers) which tend to be contracted to them. From what I've heard these simulators may be open to people who know people in 'high places', but that's all I'm saying.

Tim :ugeek:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
Offline
R class (express passenger)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 675
Location: the world of trainz
What about having one that drivers can learn to drive most, if not, all locos?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 pm 
Offline
H class (express goods/passenger)
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 am
Posts: 3328
Location: North Western suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria
G'day cjgeddes,

...I can see where your 'train of thought' is heading here, Callum but you need to know that the 'training' required by a driver to learn to control a locomotive (making it go and/or stop) is but a mere 5% (if that) of his total knowledge (that is, the knowledge for which he is paid to know to undertake the task) and is, relatively speaking, not that much more difficult than teaching someone to drive a car. It is the other 95% of that knowledge, which CANNOT be "passed on" in less than two years and cannot be learnt from a simulator, that 'maketh the driver'. I was wont to say (and believe it still to be so) that a Train Driver is not paid for the physical task he does but for the knowledge he retains to undertake that task...

...and the only way an 'outsider' is ever going to be able to attain that knowledge, is to become a Train Driver...

Jerker {:)}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 pm 
Offline
R class (express passenger)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 675
Location: the world of trainz
Fair enough Garry. People are telling me this left, right and centre.

Anyway, it was worth the idea. Maybe a setup for the public, and show them how different locos handle via simulator? I know it's not the same, but it could show the public, as a safety thing, how dangerous it is to obstruct the path of a train.

Simply because I can't have a train going around and hitting cars IRL.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group