VicTrainz Modellers Group

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

Locomotive K177 owned by the Mornington Railway Preservation society (MRPS) was buit at Newport workshops 1941 and was stored at Ararat 1967.
Placed in Langi Morgala Museum at Ararat for preservation in 1972.
Donated to Mornington Railway Preservation Society 1989.
Stored at Crib Point Naval Base in 1990.
moved to Morrooduc in 1998.
the loco has been under resteration since then.
but in 2005 the project was canceld due to the fact there was no boiler for the loco to use.
but late 2009 K191's boiler was inspected and was in good working order but K163's boiler had kicked the bukect so K163's boiler was replaced with K191's.
But a team of 5 has dedicated the last year to restoring K177 orignal boiler and yesterday at 3:30PM the boiler was compleated and inspected.
the boiler has pased the test.
now all that is left to do is to put the wheels frames cab etc togther and she will steam once more
This will take an estimated 18 months to compleate but untill then

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Hi Michael,

That's great news, only just saw this thread now, I saw this image when I was browsing the internet last week

http://www.australiansteam.com/k177.htm

Mum, my brothers and I went to Wangaratta in 1994 and I remember playing on K 191 in the park

http://www.australiansteam.com/k191.htm

Just 1 question though, why haven't they run a Spencer St tour with 163 or anywhere outside Mornington/Frankston?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Admin

The line from Moorooduc to Baxter is currently unrestored, and as such cannot handle any train movements at the moment.

As such, their locos would need to be 'trucked' out to access the main line. Since they are 'tourist railway' accredited locos, getting them accredited for mainline is likely to be a big job (and would likely require another rebuild of the loco - although this is speculation!). A diesel is more likely, and should be somewhat easier, and would be more useful (being able to be hired out).

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

so far our restoration projects include
restore Z van to be used as ticket office which was done last week
conect signal box to Morooduc yard
turntable at Mornington and Moorooduc
restore K177
Line to Baxter
and our loonger term projects
Restore K191 or K159
and the State rail museum

also Aaron we can not send K163 out as when she was out of service last year income went down over 90%
and we cant risk that again for a while

also Zec is right we havent restored the track to Baxter and cant for a while due to the fact the Peninusla freeway goes over our track and that will be finished in 2013 and that will ease traffic on the Moorooduc highway so that we can build a level crossing over it.
but we were thinking of renting one of our desiels to another company but with T334 out of service T411 is our only Desiel in service beside TC1 and we need one desiel incase of emergancy.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 am 
H class (express goods/passenger)

Hi Zec and Michael,

I was under the impression that T 411 was being leased to Pacific National, I go through there to a friends place in Rosebud and I saw handrails along side the T some time back, The reason why Steamrail has the Handrails on the sides is because Pacific National refused to use the loco's if they didn't have the handrails added so Steamrail had them fitted in early 2005 when T 342 was being painted in VR at the same time.

Why did Mornington do the PN rule of handrails being extended on the sides if it can't be leased out? it kinda wrecks the look of the T class really.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
but we were thinking of renting one of our desiels to another company but with T334 out of service T411 is our only Desiel in service beside TC1 and we need one desiel incase of emergancy.

I think you'll find the answer above. To expand, it would appear that T334 has temporarily gone out of service for maintenance (whilst it was in service, T411 was modified and repainted I guess?). I'm guessing it'll be leased out once T334 is back in service?

Zec

All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm 
V class (goods)

Should point out K163 was once accredited for mainline use, pretty much from day dot after restoration in 1986. Did quite a few trips on lines besides Stony Point and the Crib Point Navy Base, such as Woodend and Seymour. IIRC the last run would have been in 1997 when Society operations moved to the Mornington line. Unsure if it would be able to be re-accredited as it currently stands but I see no point anyway. Once the connection to Baxter is made it may be different. ;)

Now on Flickr
Last updated July 28th 2012
Puffing Billy 50th Anniversary
Celebrating 150 years of the Bendigo line 1862-2012

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:39 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

K160 is this what you were talking about
these videos were taken by Norm Wadeson of the back in the 90's

and to Zec and Aaron T334 might not go back into servce i dont really know at this stage i might check this weekend, ill ask on my lunch break (note i am a conducter so i work and need a lunch break)

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm 
V class (goods)

Yeah that is it, that footage would have been in 1996. K163 had just come out of a overhaul (conducted by MTR and Steamrail personel). The society was still based at the Cerbrus base until the following year when circumstances required operations to be transfered to the Mornington line sooner rather than later.

I'm not exactly sure when the last movement between Baxter and Moorooduc but I get the feeling it may have been 1999 when T411 was transfered from Ballarat to Baxter by WCR, then along the branch by T334.

Now on Flickr
Last updated July 28th 2012
Puffing Billy 50th Anniversary
Celebrating 150 years of the Bendigo line 1862-2012

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm 
A2 class (passenger)

once again i have a vid of that :lol:

Michael 8-)